If you are tired of mashed potatoes — prepare a replacement — mashed cauliflower! Try our 30-minute 6-ingredient cauliflower puree. This way you get a creamy, tender, salty, garlicky, buttery texture and so easy to make! The perfect gluten-free vegetable side dish!
Ingredients (For 6 people)
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 56g vegan oil (or olive oil)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 60-120 ml unsweetened almond milk (for puree)
- Fresh parsley or green onions
- Vegan parmesan cheese
How to make Cauliflower Puree recipe step by step
- Cut the cauliflower into even florets and steam in a large pot with a steamer basket covered with a lid until very tender — about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the pot and the cauliflower florets. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in vegan oil in a small skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned (be careful not to burn yourself). Or, you can keep your garlic raw for a spicier puree and stronger garlic flavor! Turn off the fire and set aside.
- Transfer half of the cauliflower to a food processor (or use an immersion blender to puree cauliflower in a pot) and process until pureed. (The amount of cauliflower you can puree at a time will depend on the size of your food processor.) Then add half the garlic butter and half the salt and pepper and beat until the flavors blend well . Taste and adjust as needed by adding more salt and pepper to taste, garlic for an intense garlic flavor, vegan butter for a buttery flavor, or almond milk to help tenderize the cauliflower puree. Note: You can even mix in some nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor, or vegan cream cheese for extra creaminess (optional).
- Transfer to a bowl or dish and cover to keep warm. Then repeat this mixing and seasoning process until all of the cauliflower is pureed with garlic. Garnish with herbs and vegan Parmesan cheese (optional), sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, and serve hot. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or 1 month in the freezer. Heat in the microwave or on the stovetop in a saucepan until hot.
Bon appetit .